Department of State Announces Visa Issuance Delays
The Department of State has issued updates regarding the following:
- Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants: the DOS is unable to print most nonimmigrant visas approved after June 8, 2015. Further, the DOS is currently unable to process DS-160 online applications submitted on or after June 9, 2015. They recommend that if you completed and submitted Form DS-160 on or after June 9, 2015, you continue to monitor the DOS website and only attend the appointment if the situation has been resolved. However, if you submitted your DS-160 online application prior to June 9, 2015, you should plan to attend their scheduled appointment.
- Immigrant Visa Applications: the DOS is still currently unable to print most immigrant visas, including fiancé(e) visas, approved after June 8, 2015. Additionally, they are aware that some applicants continue to experience technical difficulties accessing Form DS-260. The issues are intermittent, therefore DOS suggests that you return to the Consular Electronic Application Center periodically to try to complete Form DS-260.
While the DOS Bureau of Consular Affairs is apologetic and recognizes the hardship the technical issues this has created, they stress that border security is their main concern and they cannot circumvent any legal requirements to screen applicants prior to issuing visas for travel.
The Department of State is working urgently to restore full functionality, but there is no definite timeline of when these issues will be resolved and unfortunately "service to customers will be interrupted until the system is brought back online."
We hope that our students and scholars will not be affected by this slowdown. However, if you will not arrive in Atlanta by your intended arrival date, please take the following steps:
- New students beginning fall 2015: Graduate students should work with their graduate coordinator, who will notify OIE that your visa issuance is delayed. Undergraduate students should email email@example.com.
- Returning students: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you will not be able to return for fall 2015 semester.
- Scholars: Please work with your department's human resources administrator, who will notify OIE that your visa issuance is delayed.
Additional updates will be made as OIE receives them. Last updated 06/17/2015.
- Workflow Status:Published
- Created By:Maggie Miller
- Modified By:Fletcher Moore