Biological Sciences and Chemistry Faculty Receive Trio of 2020-2021 Institute Research Awards
One of the criteria for choosing the recipient of Georgia Tech’s Outstanding Achievement in Research Program Development Award is the winning team’s ability to address major challenges. The latest team of annual recipients took on the challenge of 2020 at Georgia Tech: addressing the coronavirus pandemic across campus to help keep our community safe and healthy. Anton Bryskin, Gregory Gibson, Pinar Keskinocak, Michael Shannon, Joshua Weitz, Loren Williams and JulieAnne Williamson answered that call with a Georgia Tech Covid-19 testing program that now serves as a model for other institutions of higher learning across the country. The winner of the Outstanding Achievement in Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Research Award, Stefan France, also responded to a formidable task, one that existed before Covid-19: the critical need to boost the number of underrepresented minority students at Georgia Tech — as did Pamela Pollet, this year's recipient of the 1940 W. Roane Beard Outstanding Teacher Award for "excellence and extraordinary efforts in teaching" throughout an unprecedented school year. Those who nominated the College of Sciences recipients of this year's Institute Research Awards note the outstanding impact these individuals have realized by addressing these issues in positive, measurable, meaningful ways: Georgia Tech answers coronavirus call to action The winners of the Outstanding Achievement in Research Program Development Award are the researchers and staff members who quickly came up with a successful in-house platform for conducting Covid-19 testing at Georgia Tech:
- Anton Bryskin, senior research scientist and Director of the Molecular Evolution Core Facility in the Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences (IBB)
- Gregory Gibson, Patton Distinguished Professor, School of Biological Sciences, Director of the Center for Integrative Genomics, member of the Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience
- Pinar Keskinocak, William W. George Chair and Professor and Director of the Center for Health and Humanitarian Systems, H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering.
- Michael Shannon, Deputy Chief Business Officer for Administration and Finance, formerly Principal Research Engineer in the Georgia Tech Research Institute’s (GTRI) Advanced Concepts Laboratory.
- Joshua Weitz, Patton Distinguished Professor, School of Biological Sciences, Co-Director of the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Quantitative Biosciences
- Loren Williams, Professor, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- JulieAnne Williamson, Interim Director for Sustainable Management and Operations, Assistant Vice President for Administration and Finance
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Renay San Miguel
- Created: 04/15/2021
- Modified By: jhunt7
- Modified: 04/20/2021