W. Curtis Worthington, Jr. Essay Contest
The W. Curtis Worthington, Jr. Essay Contest was established to encourage students to contribute to scholarship about the history of health sciences and to reward those whose work is exemplary. The Waring Library Society will grant one award for an undergraduate essay ($1,000) and one award for a graduate essay ($2,000). The essay must be sent to the Waring Historical Library by May 31, 2021.
The winner will be asked to submit a summary of the paper for a blog post and to provide a virtual presentation of their research at a Student History Club noon lecture series event
during the 2021-2022 academic year. The winning essays will be published in a collection of essays commemorating the MUSC bicentennial celebration in 2024.
• The research should focus on the United States-Atlantic World History of Health Sciences in the modern era—from the late 1600s to the present. There is a preference for topics that focus on or include events related to Charleston, S.C., but it is not necessary.
• Entries cannot have been published previously, nor submitted more than once.
• Only one entry per person per year.
• The entry must be the original work and ideas of the author.
• Entries must be 4,000-6,000 word for the undergraduate award, and 6,000-8,000 words for the graduate award (excluding notes and bibliography). Pages must be double spaced, type-written, including footnotes or endnotes, with one-inch margins.
The author must be a degreeseeking candidate, resident, or intern, at an accredited, higher education institution in the country.
Manuscripts must be submitted as a PDF by email to email@example.com by the end of the business day, May 31, 2021. Notification of the award will occur by the end of the business day August 1, 2021. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Amy D'Unger
- Created: 02/01/2021
- Modified By: Amy D'Unger
- Modified: 02/01/2021