In Support of Our Community
Dear ISyE Family,
The events of the past week have impacted me greatly, as I’m sure is the case for many of us. We see images on television and all around us that show a nation responding to the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and too many other black Americans, while trying to find a way forward.
It's hard to find the right words and actions right now, but we must try. These events have profound significance for each of us as individuals and for our country as a whole. This is an opportunity to learn from one another and to work together to ensure that ISyE is a place where everyone feels welcome and can thrive.
While as a School family, we are all struggling during this difficult time, some of you carry experiences, fears, and other feelings that others of us do not have to confront and deal with. If you feel comfortable sharing your stories, we want to hear from you. If you prefer to talk to me individually, I would be glad to hear from you and start a conversation. Together, we can help foster an environment where all of us gain a greater understanding of each other and begin a process that will help bring about the changes that we all know are needed.
I am committed to working with you – the entire ISyE and larger Georgia Tech community – to take a stand against the ills of racism and prejudice, and to work to ensure that our school is a place where everyone's contributions and all members are valued without exception. Let us work together to make sure that ISyE is not only the No. 1 industrial engineering program in the country academically, but also that we are a School where all people can achieve their goals and feel welcome.
Georgia Tech Resources:
- GTSBE and SGA: What would help you feel safer as a member of the Georgia Tech community? Share now.
- Georgia Tech Society of Black Engineers
- Student Government Association: Resources
- Àngel Cabrera: Statement on George Floyd
- Archie Ervin: Commitment to Drive Change
- Institute Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion: Student Organizations
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion: Stories, News, Initiatives
- Equity, Diversity and Excellence Initiative
- Division of Student Life: Counseling Center