Mary Frank Fox Elected AAAS Section Chair
Mary Frank Fox, ADVANCE Professor in the School of Public Policy, has been elected Chair of the Social, Economic and Political Sciences Section of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The AAAS is the largest multidisciplinary science society in the world and publishes the Science family of journals.
Fox researches the role and influence of gender in scientific occupations and organizations, and she is considered one of the leaders in the field. She has received numerous honors in her career, including:
- Section Star in Science, Knowledge and Technology from the American Sociological Association, 2015
- Gender Equity Award from the Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
- Ivan Allen College Distinguished Research Award, 2017
- Faculty of the Year Award from the Georgia Tech Undergraduate Student Government Association, 2017
- Elected AAAS Fellow for “distinguished research on women and men in scientific organizations and occupations, and leadership on issues related to diversity, equity, and excellence in science,” 2018
As part of the ADVANCE Program, which has a professor in each of Georgia Tech's six colleges and is supported by the Institute Diversity, Equity and Inclusion office, Fox works to support and build a community of women in science and academia.
Fox's term begins on Feb. 17, at the conclusion of the AAAS's Annual Meeting.