Feminist Women's Health Center Legislative Intern
Fall Legislative Organizing Intern - Feminist Women's Health Center
The Feminist Women’s Health Center (Feminist Center or FWHC) has provided safe and compassionate abortion and sexual health services since 1976. Over the years, influenced by the work of reproductive justice leaders like Loretta Ross and SisterSong Reproductive Justice Collective, we adopted an intersectional approach and integrated a reproductive justice framework which led to development of programs and services that seek to address systemic inequities in healthcare and society that affect women, people of color, immigrant families, low income and rural communities, and people from the trans and LGBQIA+ communities.
The Legislative Organizing Intern provides assistance for reproductive health and rights. The internship would include research of laws, policies, and general information around issues affecting reproductive health and rights. The intern will also attend, assist, and participate during meetings and workshops in preparation for upcoming events, including the 2020 Georgia legislative session.
- Familiarity with and commitment to reproductive health and rights issues.
- A desire and interest to learn, especially about lobbying, the legislative process, and reproductive justice health, and rights issues.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, including writing and computer skills.
- Adaptability and attention to detail.
- Access to a reliable car and driver’s license needed for in-state travel.
- Flexibility in work hours as some evenings and occasional weekend hours are necessary.
- An ability to maintain professionalism when dealing with legislators, the public, supporters, volunteers, and other interns.
Potential Deliverables Include:
- A research project about policies that affect reproductive health in the southeast
- At least one timely article on a reproductive policy issue
- Coordinate & facilitate at least 3 hours parties to support or policy agenda
Anticipated hours per week: 15-20 hrs per week, some flexibility with hours and schedule
Work location: on-site and remote possible for fall
Job type: internship with stipend
Application open/close date: Thursday, July 25 open to August 8, 2019. Interviews will begin in August. Position will be filled by Labor Day weekend, with a flexible start date.
Application & Required Documents:
**Please provide all documents in PDF only.**
- Brief Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- Contact information for two references
Email application materials and inquiries to: Leigh Bond, Leadership Development Coordinator, Interns@feministcenter.org