2019 MSSA Undergraduate Student Paper Competition
2019 MSSA Undergraduate Student Paper Competition (Deadline: October 1, 2019)
The Mid-South Sociological Association invites the submission of student papers for its annual Undergraduate Student Paper Competition. The competition is open to students in the Mid-South Region and to other undergraduate students who are members of the Mid-South Sociological Association. A prize of $50 will be awarded for the best paper. The authors of the papers selected will be presented with certificates of merit after presentations of their papers at the 45th Annual MSSA Conference in Jackson, Mississippi – October 24-26, 2019.
Rules for the Competition
- Each paper must be accompanied by a cover letter requesting participation in the undergraduate competition session. The letter must include the title of the paper, author(s) of the paper, the school affiliation, the email address and the telephone number of the author(s).
- The maximum length of an eligible paper shall be 20 double-spaced pages of text, not counting abstract, references, tables, and figures.
- Papers may be co-authored with a maximum of three undergraduate student authors. Papers that list co-authors who are graduate students or faculty will not be considered in this category.
- Papers must not have been submitted for publication prior to submission for this competition.
- Each submission will be evaluated by a committee of scholars and members of Mid-South Sociological Association Inc. Evaluation will be based on (1) originality, (2) contribution or potential contribution to the discipline, (3) quality and clarity of arguments, and (4) technical writing (i.e. neatness, use of an appropriate format, grammar, spelling, etc.).
To receive full recognition for participation, submissions must meet deadlines and participants must present their papers at the 45th Annual Conference. Winners are also expected to be present at the awards banquet.
Students are strongly encouraged to seek faculty guidance prior to submission of papers.
Papers (in Word, rtf, or PDF format) should be submitted by email to Dr. Patricia K. Gleich, MSSA Vice-President Elect, at email@example.com. It is the responsibility of the submitter to provide a paper that is readable, in one of the formats noted above.
If you have any questions regarding the competition, please contact Dr. Gleich directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.