Ziyan Ahmed received Campus Services Student Spotlight Award for Fall Semester 2018
Campus Services has just announced its extraordinary student employees – Student Spotlights – for Fall Semester 2018. They are: Ziyan Ahmed (Student Center), Nicole Nichols (Conference Services), Elizabeth McConnell (Campus Recreation) and Jonah Weil (Campus Recreation).
Let us tell you about Ziyan Ahmed and his work at the Student Center.
Teresa Weimann, Associate Program Director for the Student Center, nominated Ziyan.
“Ziyan in his short time on staff, continues to excel and take on new exciting roles within the Tech Rec team” Teresa said.
“In Spring 2018, a few weeks after Ziyan started on staff, he took on the role as Student Marketing Manager. In this role, he designed all marketing for Tech Rec events during the spring and summer semesters. He had to quickly pick-up Adobe Photoshop skills and design skills in order to ensure the Tech Rec brand and our marketing were top-notch.
“He went out of his way to meet with the Communications and Marketing Student Center staff member, Kate Curnow, to receive feedback and advice about marketing design.
“He was able to help take our event marketing to new heights, which was evident by the increase in attendance at our events and in our space overall. For example, the World Cup events this summer had an average of 40 students in attendance, which is a good crowd for Tech Rec, and his marketing designs and his quick ability to complete these projects definitely played a role in this summer event attendance.
“Starting this fall, Ziyan moved to a new manager leadership role as the Student Manager of Events and Logistics. Ziyan again picked up things quickly. In this role, he led the training of seven new team members, created schedules for the staff and planned new events in Tech Rec. He led the “Study hard, play harder!” session informing students about study skills and other advice related to being successful here at Tech. He hosted the first monthly trivia night in early September in Tech Rec.
“To help ensure the lanes stay in the best playing condition, Ziyan is oiling the lanes once a week while the Student Operations Manager position is being filled—this is on top of his responsibilities as Student Manager of Events and Logistics.
“Ziyan is a team player who cares about Tech Rec and works hard to provide the best service as well as encourages that same caliber of service from other members of the Tech Rec team. Without his dedication to the space, Tech Rec would not be as successful in providing exceptional service as well as continuing to be the place on-campus where students, faculty, staff, and community members can 'play harder.'”
Clearly, Ziyan falls into the category of exceptional student employee.
We asked Ziyan to tell us about himself and here’s what he told us.
Position at Campus Services Department
- Student Manager of Events & Logistics, Tech Rec
- Mathematics, Certificate in Finance
Year in School
- 4th year
- Snellville, Georgia
How long have you worked in this position?
- I have worked in this particular position for 4 months. However, I have been in a Managerial position in the Student Center for 11 months.
What are your duties in this position?
- My duties are to make schedules, plan and host events at Tech Rec, help in conducting staff training, help in hiring and training new employees, manage staff projects
What do you like best about working in this position?
- What I like the best about working in this position is seeing the end result of the events after all the planning and execution. We have had events over this semester where we had a great turnout and the students really enjoyed it.
How has this position helped you?
- I transferred in as a Junior last fall, so I was still trying to find my place on campus. This position and Tech Rec h avemade me feel part of the Tech community.
What have you learned through working here?
- I have learned great values such as leadership, accountability and software such as Adobe Photoshop. More importantly, I have learned a lot of transferable skills which I hope to use in my professional career.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Thai food
Favorite Spot on Campus?
- Definitely the Student Center. This is where I like to spend most of my time when I am not in class.
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretzky
- “It is our choices...that show what we really are, far more than our abilities.” - J.K. Rowling
What do you like to do on the weekends?
- I like to either spend time with friends or family. I also look forward to watching weekly sport events such as the Premier League.
Who is your favorite professor and why?
- Dr. Jacqueline Garner, because she makes learning fun! Moreover, she teaches the Trading and Structures class, which I am very interested in.
What is your favorite class and why?
- My favorite class is Complex Analysis, because it deals with whatever we learned so far in Mathematics but with complex numbers!
Tell us about some organizations you’re involved with on campus.
- I spend my extra time with the Student Center.
What advice do you have for incoming students?
- Tech has a place for everyone. No matter what your interests are, you are sure to find a like-minded group. Even if you don’t, you can always start your very own organization!
What would people be surprised to know about you?
- I grew up in Bangladesh and I have been in the States for about five years.
Favorite TV show?
- The Office
What will you miss most about Tech after graduation?
- I will miss the campus events, going to football games and specially Tech Rec!
What are your plans after graduation?
- I plan on pursuing a career in Data Analytics
Thank you, Ziyan, for making Tech Rec a great place for the Georgia Tech community to visit!