Elisabeth Ruyter Fellowship for Students Receiving Financial Aid
The Elisabeth Ruyter Fellowship will be awarded to one undergraduate student who will participate in the Southern Center for Human Rights Summer 2019 Human Rights Internship Program.
The summer internship will start Tuesday, May 28, 2019 and end Friday, August 2, 2019.
The successful applicant will receive a $5,000 stipend to cover their summer living expenses and travel to and from Atlanta.
Fellowship qualification requirements include*:
- Rising junior or senior undergraduate student
- Currently receiving need-based financial aid**
- Demonstrated leadership experience and interest in social justice through coursework and/or extracurricular activities
- Interested in pursuing a legal career serving marginalized communities targeted by the criminal justice system
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel extensively by car in Georgia, Alabama, and elsewhere (a driver’s license is required; however, car ownership is not required as SCHR provides vehicles)
- Willingness to work long hours, including some weekends, when needed
*As the SCHR onlys accept one undergraduate student each summer, applicants who are ineligible for the Fellowship are welcome to apply to intern during the Spring and Fall semesters.
**The Fellowship recipient will need to provide proof of receipt of one of the following need-based federal student aid programs:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Direct Subsidized Loan
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Work-Study
The Fellowship application deadline is November 1, 2018. The SCHR will make a hiring decision on a rolling basis apply as early as possible.
Please submit the following application materials by e-mail to Katherine Moss at email@example.com:
- Writing sample that is no more than ten pages;
- A list of three references with contact information; and
- A 1-page cover letter of interest explaining why you are a strong candidate for the Elisabeth Ruyter Fellowship.
- Please combine all materials listed above into one .PDF document.
Susan Belmonte, GT Pre-Law Advisor, can help you with your application. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Kayleigh Haskin
- Created: 10/10/2018
- Modified By: Kayleigh Haskin
- Modified: 10/10/2018