InVenture Prize Opening the Door to Entrepreneurship
The InVenture Prize has advanced the culture of innovation at Georgia Tech. The past 11 years of InVenture Prize innovations have demonstrated that the path to lifelong entrepreneurship begins with a single step – entering this groundbreaking competition.
Nicknamed "American Idol for Nerds," the InVenture Prize at Georgia Tech is an interdisciplinary innovation competition open to all undergraduate students and recent graduates of the Georgia Institute of Technology. In 2018, six InVenture Prize finalists took the stage to vie for top spot in the competition that is filmed before a live audience and broadcast to over 3.6 million households.
Why Your Student Should Get Involved
The InVenture Prize has had a long history of success by paving a way for students to get a foothold in the world of entrepreneurship. The competition has birthed startups including:
- FireHUD, building devices aimed at protecting firefighters;
- Wish for WASH, focusing on social entrepreneurship within Africa with its principal product, an inexpensive, portable plastic toilet;
- Titin, focusing on weighted exercise clothing aimed at building strength;
- AnemoCheck, enabling the screening of anemia in just a couple of minutes;
- BWHealth, redesigning crutches that minimize underarm pain;
- TEQ Charging, making it possible for multiple drivers to plug their cars into a charging queue;
- PickAR, utilizing augmented reality to help workers find and pick orders in warehouses;
- InternBlitz, enabling students to find and enables students to apply to more than 12,000 companies for internships.
Past participants in the competition are able to develop mindsets that companies seek to be a part of the new workforce – the ability to think creatively about solving problems, work successfully in teams, resolve problems from different perspectives, critical thinking skills, and to communicate effectively to a broad audience. Signups for the InVenture Prize started October 1, so if your student is interested in competing, send them to inventureprize.gatech.edu for more information and to register!