LGBTQIA Resource Center Hiring for Fall 2018
The LGBTQIA Resource Center is seeking reliable, committed, organized, and enthusiastic undergraduate student assistants for the 2018-19 academic year. As our new Center opens in summer 2018, this is an exciting time to be a part of our growing team. Please read the information below carefully before applying.
- MUST be eligible for Federal Work Study. If you aren't sure whether you have FWS, you must check your financial aid package. Please do not apply without checking first that you have FWS for the coming year.
- Must be available to work for 8-10 hours per week in the LGBTQIA Resource Center. The Center is open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday with some evening hours required to cover programs. We are only considering applicants who can work in the Center at least 8 hours per week.
- Reliable, committed, and punctual; able adhere to an agreed-upon schedule.
- Able to cover a few key evening events throughout the year (such as the OUT Week reception and Lavender Graduation).
- A firm understanding of issues affecting the LGBTQIA community or the willingness to acquire this knowledge.
- Strong support for LGBTQIA students and employees; a willingness to create a welcoming, safe, and inclusive environment for visitors to the Center.
- Strong customer service skills in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Competence with OrgSync, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
Essential Job Functions
- Work in the Center 8-10 hours per week to cover reception; answering the phone, welcoming visitors, taking messages, and responding to queries. Please note, as this is a customer-facing role, there is no option to work remotely.
- Carry out administrative tasks including making copies, filing, data entry, inventorying supplies, preparing training materials, reserving rooms, helping set up and clean up events in the Center, and other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean and tidy reception area.
- Responsible for closing the Center at the end of the day and opening up on days when professional staff are absent.
- Support occasional other events outside of the Center or in the evenings as needed by running registration tables, setting up the space, and welcoming guests.
- Always arrive at work on time and consistently exhibit a professional, welcoming demeanor in dealing with all visitors and callers to the Center.
- May occasionally run errands on campus.
Students will be paid according to the hourly pay rates for Student Assistant I positions ($8.00-$9.50). These are listed on the FWS website. Students with significant prior on-campus work experience may be eligible for Student Assistant II rates ($9.50-$11.00). Rate of pay will be determined by the Center director.
How to apply
First, check that you are receiving Federal Work Study in fall 2018.
If you are eligible for FWS, submit a resume and brief cover letter expressing your interest in working in the Center to Dr. Aby Parsons, director of the LGBTQIA Resource Center.
Positions open until filled. All student assistants will be required to attend a paid training day prior to the first week of the semester.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Amy D'Unger
- Created: 05/24/2018
- Modified By: Amy D'Unger
- Modified: 05/24/2018