GTPD Ends Burglar’s Spree with Arrest
The Georgia Tech Police Department arrested Gregory Strong April 20 for four counts of second degree burglary and one count a piece of theft by taking, criminal trespass, parole violation and obstruction of a law enforcement officer. Strong is being held in the Fulton County Jail.
Strong had previously been arrested on campus by GTPD in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2012, twice in 2015, and 2017. Because of his frequent criminal activity on campus, he was well known to GTPD who spotted him at Ferst Drive near the Montgomery Knight Building after he had taken a gym bag from the Skiles Building moments earlier.
In his most recent string of burglaries, Strong was caught on camera entering an office and taking a wallet from the Savant Building on March 30, entering an office and taking a wallet from the Student Center on April 9, entering an office and taking a purse from the Smith Building on April 16, taking an unattended backpack from the third floor of the Scheller College of Business building, and entering an office and taking a gym bag from the Skiles Building the night he was apprehended April 20.
“This case illustrates the challenges we face with repeat offenders,” said GTPD Chief Rob Connolly. “We are working with the community prosecutor to help him understand the suspect’s history and the high likelihood that he will return to our campus to commit crimes once he is released from jail. To keep the campus safe, we have to help the judicial system understand the nature and frequency of the crimes so that sentencing can reflect it.”
As the campus transitions from spring semester to summer terms and summer camps, GTPD reminds the campus community to report any information regarding criminal incidents by calling 404-894-2500 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. GTPD also offers the following safety reminders:
- Walk in well-lit areas. To report inoperative exterior campus lighting, visit: http://www.facilities.gatech.edu/om/requests/lighting.php.
- Walk with a friend or in a group.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Immediately report suspicious activity to the Georgia Tech Police by calling 404-894-2500. Program GTPD's number into your cell phone.
- For on-campus transportation from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m., call the Stingerette at 404-385-RIDE.
- Safety escorts are available through the Georgia Tech Police Department by calling 404-894-2500 or 4-GTPD.
- Download the LiveSafe safety app for quick access to the Georgia Tech Police Department and other safety resources.
- Workflow Status:Published
- Created By:Lance Wallace
- Modified By:Lance Wallace