Political Blogger Position
Democracy in Color is a national media organization focused on race, politics and the New American Majority that worked to elect President Barack Obama, Senator Cory Booker, Senator Kamala Harris, and other leaders who carry a social justice agenda. We are dedicated to empowering the New American Majority—multiracial, multicultural, and progressive—through media, public conversations, research and analysis on race and politics. Our mission is to empower the New American Majority through shining a light on and lifting up progressive people of color and progressive whites, and calling for transparency and accountability from our leaders. Our mission is also to win back our country from those who seek to silence our voices. Democracy in Color was founded in 2016 by Steve Phillips, author of the New York Times bestselling book, Brown Is the New White: How the Demographic Revolution Has Created a New American Majority. Aimee Allison is President of Democracy in Color. In 2017, Allison launched “Get in Formation,” a national call for Black women to support former House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams for governor of Georgia.
Democracy in Color is seeking to support a few progressive bloggers to cover Georgia politics beginning as soon as possible (beginning November 2017) and throughout 2018. This is a unique opportunity to make a significant contribution to Democracy in Color’s mission and impact and to help increase multiracial, progressive political power in this country. You will work independently to create and maintain your own progressive Georgia politics blog with a distinctive, lively voice to cover the Atlanta mayoral race as soon as possible (beginning November 2017) until the end of 2017. Based on each blog’s quality, reach and impact, we hope to select one blog and support it through 2018, including covering the state’s gubernatorial race.
Ideal Blogger Candidate
- You want to turn Georgia Blue. You’re a member of the New American Majority based in Georgia. You are either an active participant or follower of progressive, local activism and movements, or politics, or both because you can see how the demographic revolution in
- Georgia makes it possible for this long-time red state to turn blue--and you want to help make it happen!
- You love writing and blogging about politics. Whether you already have your own blog or you’re active on social media (and write posts frequently), you are someone how loves to write about your thoughts on politics and current events and you are known for having your own lively, distinctive perspective and voice.
- You are naturally proactive. You are someone who is often a few steps ahead of those around you. You love working independently and having an independent voice.
- You enjoy a unique opportunity and rising to a challenge. When the lyrics from Hamilton said, “young, scrappy and hungry,” you thought: that sounds like me. And when we say young, we mean including young at heart!
- Experience writing and publishing preferred
- Experience with creating and keeping a blog preferred
- Experience with news writing and reporting a plus
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Demonstrated passion for Democracy in Color's missionand alignment with its values
- Excellent witing skills
- Ability to write and post at least one news article per day
- Ability to promote and distribute blog through social media
- Bloggers must be based in Georgia
Compensation: $3,000 stipend for mid-November through December 12th runoff
To apply: Please email a brief cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
In your online application, please indicate how you learned about the opening and three writing samples and the date you would be available to launch your blog and post your first post.