Candice Cobb selected as Fall 2016 Campus Services Student Spotlight!
Student Spotlights are selected each semester from the Campus Services student employees of which there are more than 500. We look for extraordinary student employees and Holly Shikano, Coordinator for Residential Academic Initiatives, Georgia Tech Housing, said that was exactly what Candice is.
“She is pretty awesome,” Holly said. “Candice worked for Housing’s Learning Assistance Program for four years while studying Structural Engineering.”
In fact, Candice was the Lead Learning Center Coordinator for the Learning Assistance Program.
“Her leadership has helped us in so many ways!” Holly said. “She coached two Learning
Center Coordinators, and she along with another student, Coandace Ogata, and I presented at the Southeast College Reading and Learning Association Annual Conference.
“Candice has done so much to increase our performance and to help guide the
professional development of our tutors,” Holly added. “She is seriously, she is super cool.”
We asked Candice to tell us a bit about herself. Here’s what she told us:
What is your position Campus Services Housing?
- Office Assistant for Staff and Community Development
- Structural Engineering
- Loganville, GA
What do you do in this position?
- I assist Housing’s professional and student staff with office tasks, bulletins, and maintaining supplies for our RAs and PLs.
What do you like best about working in this position?
- My supervisors. You can tell they really have fun with what they do and love working with students.
How has this position helped you?
- I commuted this semester so this position gave me a productive outlet to spend in-between classes.
What have you learned through working here?
- This position really has you focus on managing deadlines and how to delegate to people who can best do the task the fastest. Sometimes, us Tech students, have to learn “you can’t do everything yourself.”
- Count of Monte Cristo
- White Chocolate raspberry cheesecake
Favorite Spot on campus?
- Student Center
- “Keep moving forward."
What do you like to do on the weekends?
- Sleep and bake
What is your favorite organization you're involved in on campus?
- American Society of Civil Engineers
What advice do you have for students?
- Enjoy your time in college with friends because it gets harder after graduation to come together with your bestie spread across the US. But this also means you have excuses to travel and use your vacation time. :)
What would people be surprised to know about you?
- I spoke in front the Secretary of Education.
What are your plans after graduation?
- Working in multi-family housing and starting my own small design business.
Thanks and congratulations, Candice!