To Georgia Tech Parents and Family Members:
Student safety is a top priority at Georgia Tech; and our primary focus at the Georgia Tech Police Department is keeping the campus secure. We are constantly updating our technology and methods to better serve the community.We strongly encouragestudents, staff and faculty to pay particular attention to their surroundings and to immediately report crimes or suspicious activity to GTPD. Please save our number in your phone and be sure your student does as well. We encourage your student to call us for any reason. Remember, See Something, Say Something. 404-894-2500
Taking sensible precautions is the best way to avoid dangerous situations. Here are some safety tips for students to keep in mind:
- Pokémon Go may be fun, but “walking distracted” sets up players to become targets of crime or involved in accidents. Paying attention to your surroundings is especially important.
- Avoid walking alone after dark – this applies to both male and female students. Use the Stingerette campus shuttle service 404-385-RIDE (5-7433) or call the Georgia Tech Police Department for a safe ride home on campus.
- If an armed person demands your possessions, first comply with their request and then get to somewhere safe. Call Georgia Tech Police Department immediately from your phone or any of the 500+ emergency callboxes located around campus.
- We encourage you to follow us on social media. GTPD has an active presence on multiple platforms, such as Twitter, YikYak, reddit, Snapchat, and Facebook.
- Encourage your student to lock their dorm room doors and windows when they’re not there, and to not allow unfamiliar persons to follow them into the building after they use their Buzzcard to get in.
- Clear your car of clutter. Make sure all items such as GPS systems, computers, personal electronics or spare change are either removed or not visible to someone looking in the windows.
- To be informed of emerging threats to campus security, we strongly recommend that students sign up for the GT Emergency Notification System (GTENS). The system allows students to receive time-sensitive emergency messages in the form of e-mail, phone call and text messages. Register at https://passport-prod.gatech.edu/
- We publish up-to-date crime alerts (http://www.police.gatech.edu/crimeinfo/crimealerts/) and crime logs (http://www.police.gatech.edu/crimeinfo/crimelogs/crimelog.html) on our website.
LiveSafe is the free safety tool that provides a quick and convenient way to communicate with GTPD on your mobile phone! This student-recommended safety app has dozens of useful safety features, such as quick connections to GTPD, campus maps, and the SafeWalk feature to have a friend virtually keep tabs on you (whether at Georgia Tech or on “Spring Break”). Visit the website for information on how to download the app to your Apple or Android phone: www.LiveSafe.gatech.edu.
The men and women of the Georgia Tech Police Department are available 24/7/365 and are dedicated to campus safety. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any reason. For more information about crime awareness and prevention, visit the Georgia Tech Police Department website at www.police.gatech.edu.
Chief of Police
A Safer Community, Together
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Sara Warner
- Created: 08/09/2016
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016