Petit Institute Lab Clean-Up and Swap-O-Rama
The week of June 16th we are hosting a spring clean-up for labs in the bio-complex. We will provide 10 garbage bins per floor in the Petit Biotechnology Building so your lab can throw out any supplies that cannot be traded or recycled, or that don't need special attention (see instructions for chemical disposal and supply swapping below).
Your lab's chemical inventory is due by June 24th, per Georgia Tech rules. Here are a few tips:
- Identify chemicals that must be disposed through Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S).
- Chemicals that have not been used in the past two years should be identified for disposal.
- To dispose of chemicals, create a waste card in the "Waste" module of Chematix. Once a waste card has been submitted, EH&S will schedule a pick-up time. Essential information on the waste card must include point-of-contact, location of waste and phone number.
- If chemicals may be used by other personnel, they can be designated as "Surplus," which allows others to request the chemical and transfer it/them to the requesting lab.
- Surplus chemicals may be stored in your lab with that designation for two weeks maximum. If no one has claimed the chemicals within this time period, a waste card must be created and submitted to EH&S for disposal.
Questions? Please contact Steve Woodard.
During our clean-up week, we will have tables set up in the building atrium. Leave items that can be swapped on the tables, let your colleagues know they're there via the Petit Insitute Facebook page, and smile, knowing that your trash is someone else's treasure.
Items that can be swapped include:
- Intact glassware
- Unopened plastic ware
- Non-contaminated materials
- Old non-inventoried equipment*
*If you have inventoried equipment that you would like to get rid of, please contact Allen Echols with the tag number.
Chemicals, broken glassware and contaminated materials must be disposed of properly. Items not picked up will be disposed of by the Petit Institute team.
Ice Cream Party!
Let people know what items you are swapping on our Facebook event page and win a ice cream party for your lab!
Join our Facebook clean-up event page, and as you drop off your items, post what you are leaving. The lab with the most items posted to Facebook for the swap will win an ice cream party!