Buzzworthy Achievements at Tech
The following Georgia Tech employees and units have received honors in recent months:
- Bob Nerem, professor emeritus in the School of Mechanical Engineering, was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society-Americas Chapter.
- Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) named the following people GTRI Fellows for 2014: Gisele Bennett, director of GTRI’s Electro-Optical Systems Lab; Wayne Daley, principal research engineer in GTRI’s Aerospace, Transportation, and Advanced Systems Laboratory; Lou Fertig, principal research engineer for the Sensors and Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory; and Bill Underwood, principal research scientist in the Information and Communications Laboratory.
- Elizabeth Campell, an employee of Institute Communications who died last spring, was awarded a Community Partner Award for 2012 from the Georgia Tech Police Department.
- The Student Alumni Association received Council for Advancement and Support of Education-affiliated Student Advancement Programs Awards for its Mentor Jackets and Expert Jackets programs.
- Rich DeMillo, director of the Center for 21st Century Universities, was named an inaugural Lumina Foundation Fellow.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admission was named one of the 100 Best Places to Work in Atlanta by the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
- Alexander Alexeev, assistant professor in the School of Mechanical Engineering, received a CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation.
- Stacy Braukman, Campaign Georgia Tech writer and editor, will receive a Willie Lee Rose Award from the Southern Association for Women Historians for her book, Communists and Perverts under the Palms.
- Zhong Lin Wang, Regents Professor in the School of Materials Science and Engineering, was awarded the 2014 James C. McGroddy Prize for New Materials from the American Physical Society.
- Christine Ries, professor in the School of Economics, was elected to serve on the board of the Georgia Cyber Academy.
- Lon Pringle was named GTRI’s director for research.
- Jeffrey Hu, associate professor in Scheller College of Business, received the inaugural Best Paper in Information Systems Award for Management Science.
Awards for this feature are accepted on an ongoing basis. Provide name, title, unit, and honor (spelling out acronyms) to firstname.lastname@example.org.