Save Money with Commute Alternatives
Not many people can say that their commute to Georgia Tech is relaxing — but David Santa Ana can.
For three years, Santa Ana, associate director of parking in the Office of Parking and Transportation Services (PTS), has taken the GRTA Xpress bus to work from Newnan.
“It can be faster than driving and is very relaxing,” he said. “Instead of arriving at work stressed or getting home tired, I can read or sleep on my commute, or talk with passengers that work in this area.”
The Xpress bus or MARTA are just two alternative commuting options available. Through a partnership with the Clean Air Campaign and Midtown Alliance, Tech is sweetening the deal for faculty and staff members who embrace the alternatives.
The Georgia Commute Options program offers participants the chance to win $25 gift cards for every month they use a clean commuting option such as biking, walking, car/vanpooling, or taking transit. New participants can earn $3 a day (up to $100) just for switching from driving alone, and carpoolers can earn up to $60 in gas cards each month for 12 months.
As program participants, commuters who are unable to catch their normal ride home due to unexpected events can also receive up to five free guaranteed rides home. More information about the program is available at www.GaCommuteOptions.com.
PTS also offers the following alternative commute resources:
- Zimride. Tech offers a free ride matching service that helps commuters find other people at Tech who are interested in carpooling. Find information at www.zimride.gatech.edu.
- SmartPark. Tech’s SmartPark program allows flexibility for commuters who may have to drive to campus on occasion. Employees pay $25 per year to enroll and may then park on campus at specific locations for $6 each time.
- Transit. Employees may purchase discounted MARTA, GRTA, Cobb, and Gwinnett transit passes through payroll deduction. Visit www.ohr.gatech.edu/payroll/deductions/transitpass for details.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Amelia Pavlik
- Created: 08/19/2013
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016