Welcome International Students
Living in a new country without the familiar faces of family and friends is a challenge commonly faced by international students and their parents. The Office of International Education (OIE) sponsors an orientation, known as International Student Welcome Week, to welcome all new/transfer undergraduate, graduate and exchange international students.
Welcome Week will be held August 12-16. Some of the sessions will also extend into the first week of classes. By attending these OIE-sponsored sessions and events, new international students will have the opportunity to meet other new international students and the ISSS staff, as well as gain valuable information that will assist them upon their arrival at Georgia Tech and throughout their studies.
Topics for the International Student Welcome Week include:
- How to succeed as a F1 or J1 student
- Understanding immigration regulations
- Academic transition
- Tips for a successful cultural transition (discussion with staff of ISSS and international student panel)
- Staying safe and healthy in the U.S. (and understanding health insurance)
- Achieving academic success as an international student (discussion with graduate international student panel)
- USA/ Georgia Tech 101
Plus, students will enjoy a fun new student welcome celebration!
While participation in International Student Welcome Week is strongly encouraged, it is optional. However, it is mandatory for new international students to check-in with the OIE to have their registration holds removed and register for courses. Check-in in Clough Commons begins on Wednesday, August 7, and lasts through Friday, August 16.
Find more information about Welcome Week at oie.gatech.edu/welcome/sessions and International Student Check-In at oie.gatech.edu/welcome/checkin.
Want to learn more about what your student should be doing now and what you as a parent can do to help them through the transition to Georgia Tech? Please see our International Student Parent Webinar! This is a recording of a live webinar held in early June with questions from parents like you and information about important resources.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Rachael Pocklington
- Created: 07/08/2013
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016