The following Georgia Tech employees have been honored in recent months:
- Jim Dai, Edenfield Professor in the H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISyE), was appointed editor-in-chief of Mathematics of Operations Research, the international journal of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences.
- Mandy Volpe, marketing manager for the Department of Housing, was named to Rejuvenate Magazine’s “40 Under 40” industry leader list.
- Julie Swann, Harold R. and Mary Anne Nash Associate Professor in ISyE and co-director of the Center for Health and Humanitarian Logistics, was named the College of Engineering’s Georgia Power Professor of Excellence for 2012.
- Muhannad Bakir, associate professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Daniel Goldman, assistant professor in the School of Physics, were named 2012 DARPA Young Faculty Award Winners.
- C.F. Jeff Wu, ISyE professor and Coca-Cola Chair in Engineering Statistics, gave the 2012 Deming Lecture, an honor from the American Statistical Association given to an individual who has made significant contributions in the field of statistics.
- Gwen Fernandes, assistant director of International Students and Scholar Service, received the 2012 Fulbright International Education Administrators Program Award.
- Seong-Hee Kim, associate professor in ISyE, was named president of the INFORMS Simulation Society for the July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2014, term.
- Alex Shapiro, professor in ISyE, was named editor-in-chief of Mathematical Programming, the official journal of the Mathematical Optimization Society.
- Shatakshee Dhongde, assistant professor in the School of Economics, was awarded the Nancy and Richard Ruggles Memorial Fund Prize for her paper, “Measuring Segregation of the Poor in India,” at the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth General Conference.
- John Carter Jr., president and chief operation officer of the Georgia Tech Foundation Inc., received a Commonfund Institutionally Related Foundation Award from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
Awards for this feature are accepted on an ongoing basis. Provide name, title, unit and honor (spelling out acronyms) to firstname.lastname@example.org.