Construction on Highland Bakery Location Is Under Way
From the signature sweet potato biscuits to the made-to-order breakfast sandwiches with all the fixings, the baked goods and delicious dishes of Highland Bakery will soon be served at the restaurant’s new campus location. The bakery, which is set to open in early 2013, will take up residence in the Bradley Building where Junior’s Grill was located.“We knew that the restaurant that filled that space had to be special,” said Rich Steele, senior director of Auxiliary Services. “Highland Bakery is an Atlanta institution, and we’re glad it will be making a more permanent home on the Georgia Tech campus.” Tech’s partnership with the bakery began in the late 1990s when kiosks in the College of Architecture and College of Computing opened. The first Highland Bakery restaurant on Highland Avenue opened in 2004, and locations in Midtown and Buckhead have opened in recent years. While the kiosks carry the bakery’s grab-and-go sandwiches, coffee and pastries, the new Tech location will be a full-service restaurant, offering most items found on the bakery’s menu. The 4,000-square-foot space will also feature a conference room to provide a space for faculty and staff to conduct lunch meetings. “By having a centralized location with broader production capabilities, our thought is that we might be able to start offering more diverse and fresher foods at the kiosks across campus,” Steele added. In other dining news:
- Construction for Burger Bytes has begun in the vacant space next to Taco Bell in the Student Center Commons. The menu is being finalized and an opening is expected by the start of the spring semester.
- Ribs & Blues at Technology Square has closed, as the restaurant’s contract with the Institute runs out at the end of November. Negotiations to fill the space with a nonrestaurant business are under way, and Steele hopes to be able to share plans for the space in the weeks to come.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Amelia Pavlik
- Created: 11/20/2012
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016