The following Georgia Tech employees or units have been honored in recent months:
- Grigoriy Blekherman, Prasad Raghavendra and Frank Stewart received2012 Sloan Research Fellowships by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Blekherman and Stewart are assistant professors in the College of Sciences, and Raghavendra is an assistant professor in the College of Computing.
- Younan Xia was named Brock Family Chair and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Nanomedicine in the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering.
- Reginald DesRoches, chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering, was named “Engineer of the Year for Education” by the Georgia Engineering Alliance.
- Shondra Carter, Government and Community Relations coordinator, was selected by Parenting Magazine to represent Georgia at the third annual Mom Congress on Education and Learning Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Julie Sonnenberg-Klein, an education outreach manager at Georgia Tech Savannah, received an honorable mention for the Chancellor’s Excellence Award.
- Jonathan Hart, assistant director of facilities for the Campus Recreation Center, was named “Building Manager of the Year” by the Office of Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Safety.
- Greek Life Advisor Luke Massee was awarded the Jane H. Sutton Advisor of the Year award at the Southeastern Panhellenic Conference.
- The Georgia General Assembly recognized Marlit Hayslett, a senior research associate at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, and her team with two separate legislative resolutions commending their contributions to science and technology policy in Georgia.
- Shean Phelps has been named medical director for the Translational Research Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Science.
- Douglas Flamming, a professor in the School of History, Technology and Society, and Stavros Garoufalidis, a professor in the School of Mathematics, were named 2012 Fellows by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
- Roshan Joseph Vengazhiyil, an associate professor in the H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, has been elected a fellow of the American Statistical Association.
- The School of Architecture has appointed Marc Simmons to the Thomas W. Ventulett III Distinguished Chair in Architectural Design.
- Aaron Levine, an assistant professor in the School of Public Policy, has received the National Science Foundation’s Faculty Early Career Development Award.
- John Papapolymerou, a professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, has been selected to receive the 2012 H.A. Wheeler Prize Paper Award of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society.
Part II of this honors roundup will be featured in the Aug. 6 issue. Submissions for this feature will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Provide name, title, unit and honor (please spell out all acronyms) to email@example.com.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Amelia Pavlik
- Created: 07/25/2012
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016