GaTech @ APA/LA: 5 Awards + 7 Presentations
5 APA awards and distinctions will be presented to members of the GT community at the APA conference in LA this week, and 11 Tech students and faculty will participate in 7 presentations. What a grand showing! Here’s the list, in the hope that you’ll try to support the home team by showing up or offering congratulations….
- Professor of Practice Mike Dobbins, AICP and Duluth Georgia Planning Director Glenn Coyne, AICP (MCP ’87) will be inducted as Fellows of AICP, Sunday 15 April, 4:30-6:00pm (ticket required). [Also to be inducted will be former Tech CRP Advisory Board member David Kirk of Atlanta and GPA.]
- Ryan Gravel (MCP ’98) and Professor of Practice David Green will be part of a team presented with a 2012 Donald E. Hunter Excellence in Economic Development Planning Award, Monday 16 April, 7pm at the J.W. Marriott Hotel by APA’s Economic Development Division, for the Innovation Square project in Gainesville Florida prepared by the University of Florida, Shands Hospital, the Gainesville Community Redevelopment Agency and Perkins + Will of Atlanta.
- Tech’s 2010 Ft. McPherson Action Plan studio will receive a national APA Student Project Award during the AICP/APA Business Meeting, Tuesday 17 April, 9:00am – 10:15am. Professor of Practice Mike Dobbins, AICP and Zachary Adriaenssens (MCRP ’11) will accept the award for the studio team, which also includes: Rati Akash (MCRP ‘11), Kia Ball (MCRP ’11), Leslie Caceda (MCRP ’11), Carlos Campo (MCRP/MS-Civil Engineering ’10), Chris Faulkner (MCRP ’11), Carolyn Knabel (BS-Arch ’10, MCRP ’11;), Jenna Lee (MCRP ’11), Moki Macias (MCRP ’11), Drew Murray (MCRP ’11), Neela Ram (MCRP/MS Pub Pol ’10), Ruma Ram (MCRP ’11), Andrea Rattray (MCRP ’11), and Stephanie Wansley (MCRP ’11).
- Nate Hoelzel (PhD class of ’13) will be part of a team presented with a 2012 National Planning Excellence Award for their work, “Re-imagining a More Sustainable Cleveland.” This presentation will be part of the APA Awards Luncheon on Tuesday 17 April.
- Professor Steven French, FAICP and Associate Professor Bill Drummond. “FEET: A Method for Estimating Small Area Building Energy Use and Emissions”. Saturday, 14 April, 4:00pm – 5:15pm.
- Professor Subhrajit Guhathakurta. “Impacting of Different Urban Forms on Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions”. Saturday, 14 April, 4:00 – 5:15pm.
- Jason Vargo (PhD class of ’12) and Associate Professor Brian Stone. “Managing Climate Change in Cities: Will Climate Action Plans Work? on Saturday, 14 April, 4:00 -5:15 pm.
- Landon Reed (MCRP class of ’13), Bin Yan (MCRP class of ’12); Lauren Pessoa (MCRP class of ’13) and James Wong (MCRP/MS-CE class of ’13) will present the poster, ”Atlanta’s Lack of Open Transit Data”. Sunday, 15 April, 12:00 - 2-00pm.
- Professor Nancey Green Leigh, FAICP. “Employment, Economic Development and Smart Growth”. Sunday,15 April, 2:30-3:45pm.
- Associate Professor Nisha Botchwey. ”The National Academy of Environmental Design” Monday 16 April, 9:00-10:15am.
- Nathanael Zane Hoelzel (PhD class of ’13). "The Possibility of Revitalizing Industry Here and Now: 21st Century Planning for Sustainable Manufacturing in U.S. Cities." on Monday, April 16, 5:30 - 6:45 pm.
ALSO: Don’t forget the South Atlantic Chapters and Schools reception, Monday 16 April, 7:00-8:30pm, Big Wang’s, 801 So. Grand Av., Los Angeles. This will be a great place to meet the 15 current Tech students who will be at the conference.