Tech PrEP Gives First-Year Students the Calculus Advantage
Assistant Director of Academic Support, Office of Success Programs
Georgia Techâs Office of Success Programs, in collaboration with the School of Mathematics, announces an exciting new summer program designed to give entering Tech freshmen an added advantage in successfully completing their introductory calculus courses. The Tech Pre-Calculus Enrichment Program (TechPrEP) is a non-credit, two-week intensive program that will review fundamental pre-calculus concepts as well as introduce strategies critical for academic success in calculus and other first-year courses. The program is designed to give new students a head start on their success at Tech in an active, social, and relaxed environment.
During the program, students will:
* Learn fundamental pre-calculus concepts from a current School of Mathematics faculty member. The curriculum is designed by the School of Mathematics and focuses on concepts identified as critical to success in the Tech introductory calculus sequence (Math 1501/1502).
* Participate in collaborative learning programs facilitated by current Georgia Tech undergraduates who have earned Aâs in calculus and are exceptional tutors. The sessions will reinforce the content taught by the instructor as well as introduce the studying and learning skills necessary for success in calculus.
* Participate in team building exercises and activities, including Techâs exciting new Leadership Challenge Course.
* Attend Academic Success workshops that will address topics relevant to first-year student academic success, including leadership, interacting with Tech faculty, collaborative learning, and time management.
* Get to know other incoming freshmen, as well as current Tech students.
* Become more familiar with Techâs academic support programs and resources.
This is an optional, non-credit program that is limited to 60 freshmen - space is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost of the program is $550 and includes all program materials, textbook, lunch each day, a program t-shirt, and participation in the Leadership Challenge Course. The dates of the program are Monday through Friday, August 2 through August 13. Registration for the program began Monday June 14 and will continue until July 15 or until all available spaces are filled. This is a commute-based program and there will be no residential option available for this summer.
More Information about TechPrEP, including a detailed schedule and program fees, is available by visiting our website at www.successprograms.gatech.edu and clicking on the TechPrEP icon on the right-hand side of the page or by calling the Office of Success Programs Academic Support office at 404.385.0041.
- Workflow Status:Published
- Created By:Rachael Pocklington
- Modified By:Fletcher Moore