Go Global with the Office of International Education
Study Abroad Coordinator and Scholarships Advisor, Office of International Education
The Office of International Education (OIE) is an integral component in helping Georgia Tech to achieve its vision of defining the global technological research university of the 21st century. Our mission is to provide advocacy and support of the Instituteâs goals for international education and exchange. OIE helps Tech students pursue a global education by providing opportunities in the following areas:
Support of international students and scholars. OIE helps internationals at Tech, who number more than 3,700 on the Atlanta campus and represent more than 111 countries, maintain their immigration status. Equally important, OIE strives to create an environment where international students and scholars are able to make the transition to Georgia Tech through diverse cultural, educational and leadership opportunities.
Study Abroad programs are available for students from all majors. With more than 120 programs in more than 35 countries, students earn credits toward a degree while adding an important international component to their education. Students who study abroad develop new skills, learn independence, and gain the self-confidence needed to succeed and lead in the global marketplace. OIE offers an International Student Leadership Award and scholarships for studying abroad to recognize and reward outstanding representatives of the campus community.
The International Plan (IP) is a challenging four-year program that works in tandem with an undergraduate's academic curriculum to produce globally competent citizens. Students who participate in the International Plan engage in a minimum of 26 weeks of international experience (work, research, or study), develop proficiency in a language other than English, take internationally oriented coursework, and complete a culminating capstone course for a holistic approach to globalizing students' education and integrating it into their major.
In addition to these areas of support, students can take advantage of OIEâs wide array of internationally focused activities.
* Study Abroad Peer Advisors are a group of study abroad participants who play a critical role in promoting the international experience to Tech students.
* The annual OIE Photo Contest invites both students who have studied abroad as well as international students who are studying at Tech to submit photos about their lives and educational experiences abroad.
* The Links Program matches new international students with U.S. students who volunteer to create connections and learn from one another. The Links Program also helps new international students discover the resources available to them on campus.
* The International House (I-House) is part of the ThinkBig on-campus Living-Learning Community program where students have the opportunity to explore fun and interesting international topics through socials, outings and events.
* The GT 1000 Freshman Seminar offers an OIE cohort section helping students to transition to the diverse community here at Tech and to acquire strategies that promote academic, social, and professional success within a global environment.
* In addition to mainstay programs and collaborative activities, the Office of International Education hosts many events throughout the year including International Education Week during the fall semester and Culture Fest during the spring.
For more information on how your student can benefit from the services and programs offered by the Office of International Education visit our website www.oie.gatech.edu.