Research Option at Georgia Tech
Christopher W. Reaves
Director of Undergraduate Research and Student Innovation
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
With the Georgia Tech Research Option, students are afforded a unique opportunity for intensive, hands-on research experiences as undergraduates. This opportunity provides students with several semesters of research on one project, culminating in an original thesis or research paper. Research Option students work one-on-one with faculty members and are encouraged to present their final work to faculty and their peers.
Students who graduate with the Research Option have opportunities to extend their communication and writing skills, increase their knowledge in a specific area of emphasis, and, depending on the research project, learn either independent research or teamwork skills. Students will be exposed to how research projects are created and sustained, and what research within a field of study really entails. While the option appears on the studentâs transcript as a special designation, the true benefit of the program comes from the immersion in a specific independent research topic, interaction with peers from other disciplines also completing research, and special instruction in small classes on research-related skills and tools.
While the Research Option is open to all students, it is specifically tailored for students who are considering graduate school or are thinking about a professional career in research and development.
The exact requirements for research option vary by academic unit, however, students typically:
* Create an independent research project and written proposal for the work planned,
* Complete at least nine units of undergraduate research (over at least two, preferably three terms),
* Take a sequence of two one-hour writing courses in support of various aspects of the option:
- LCC 4701: Undergraduate Research Proposal Writing offers students support and tools as they write the proposal required for the program
- LCC 4702: Undergraduate Research Thesis Writing supports students during their final semester of research as they complete the thesis and present it to the faculty of their school, and
* Write an undergraduate thesis/report on their findings.
Students completing the option have had the following things to say about the program:
âI have learned not only about a specific topic area (chemotaxis), but how to manage time wisely, be patient with results, and devise my own hypotheses.â Erin Epperson, Biology
âI am participating in the Research Option because I thought it was impressive and would give me a glimpse of being a graduate student.â Tyler Weston, Computer Science
âI have learned more about fitting into the scientific community. . . how researchers interact and share information via journal articles, seminars, and lab meetings.â Clara Moon, Biology
Click here for additional information on the Research Option including a list of participating schools. You may also email email@example.com for more information on undergraduate research and the research option.
- Workflow Status: Published
- Created By: Rachael Pocklington
- Created: 10/04/2011
- Modified By: Fletcher Moore
- Modified: 10/07/2016